Monday, July 25, 2011

My Forever Home

Well for the next month at least! I finally moved into my new apartment after the rink-a-dink one and then crashing with a friend for a week. I felt a bit like Goldilocks going from broken bed to sagging bed and finally to firm bed! I am staying with an absolutely lovely family in a more suburban area of Amman. They have a beautiful two story apartment which allows for family inclusion but also privacy all-in-one. The family has 4 daughters between the ages of 19 and 27 and a son preparing for his last year of high school. I am living in the top apartment with the second and third oldest daughters (the oldest is married and just had her second daughter today!). Not only is the family warm and laid-back, but the apartment has nice amenities like AC, a treadmill, and a rooftop terrace. I will also get the full family experience of celebrating Ramadan with family dinners each night (although the mom insisted I shouldn't fast...I will most likely fast at home and bring lunch to school). A huge shout out to Rebecca for helping me find my new family!

Upstairs sitting room and TREADMILL! I go downstairs to watch
TV with the family in the living room.

Upstairs terrace (it's beautiful and breezy at nighttime)

Half-bath and entry to kitchen

Upstairs kitchen

Bedroom shared with one of the daughters

View from the bedroom--there is a large church to the right
and the Hashemite Palace is all the way in the back

The downstairs apartment has a larger kitchen, two formal sitting rooms, a living room, and three bedrooms. It's where most of the evening TV watching takes place. In an exciting element of the move, as I was being driven to the new apartment in the taxi, I was momentarily part of King Abdullah's motorcade! There were lots of cop motorcycles stopping traffic from the entry ramps onto the highway road but for some reason, they didn't block of that actual road so we ended up pulling off to the side of the road only at the last minute. It was exciting and terrifying all at once. There were a ton of cars and protection officers driving very fast. He was on his way to the Hashemite palace for the weekend, so I guess we're kind of neighbors.

Pretty sweet decal of King Abdullah

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Awesome apartment! So happy you'll be more comfortable.

Lindsay Mott Rosti said...

I second Kristen's comment!

Lindsey said...

me three!

David said...

Your terrace and view from the bedroom both look awesome! Also, Head of State motorcades are great, right? I remember walking down a random street in Moscow the summer I was there and seeing police block off all the side streets before Putin or Medvedev could raced by in their huge motorcade.

Lilly said...

Me Four!!! This family and their house/apartment sounds and looks so nice =)