Friday, June 24, 2011

My Rink-a-Dink Apartment

So as a disclaimer, this apartment really isn't that bad. It's actually quite nice for the Middle East, it's just a little rough around the edges (kinda like our landlord whom I met a few days ago). However, I'm paying a ridiculous amount for it because I took the easy way out this summer and had the school find me one. They clearly indicate they charge a lot more for apartments, but I came the day before classes and didn't want to look around for a week like I did in Syria. However, for the price I'm paying, I expected things like a toilet seat and a frying pan (they guaranteed a "fully-stocked" kitchen and we have two giant pots and that's about it). The TV and stove were all initially not working but I got that plus internet within the first 12 hours of arriving! (Faster than AT&T!) According to my two roommates, the other school apartments are much nicer because our school has been using them for a few years. We think that our apartment has never been used by the school before, hence the lack of supplies.
Quasi-dining room when you enter with living room on the right

Living room with awesome, ornate furniture

Kitchen which looks pretty nice but if you look closely, the drawer
front are all in the process of falling off. It is pretty big, though, and
we do have a washer--phew.

My shared bathroom--the bidet is just out of the picture.
Please note the lack of toilet seat.

My room--the bed to the left is missing a few slats at the end.
I keep forgetting, sitting on the end of the bed, and falling through.

Other angle--lots of storage

Building across the way--blinds are usually kept closed for privacy.

Light fixture of choice--I'm pretty sure they took the nice ones when
they left, along with the toilet seat.

View of none of Amman's many hills from our balcony

Also, I added an "email me" gadget in the bottom in case you'd like to be emailed when I update!

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Hi Linds! First off, I agree with my sister - your new blog design is very cool! Looks like you're off to a great start with a good apartment. I'm looking forward to reading all about your summer! A good friend of mine from med school spent 2 years in Amman and loved every minute of it! I'm sure you will, too. Best of luck!

Lindsey said...

Thanks, Meg! I'm enjoying all the wedding pictures rolling in--I hope you enjoy your first married summer and the new position at Tufts!