A few weeks ago, I headed down south with Kaitlin, Lisa, and Michael for the weekend to do some hiking in Dana Biosphere reserve. This was one of the last places on my Jordan "bucket list" that I absolutely had to see before I left the country. And rest assured, it was as awesome as I had hoped.
But first, we made a pit stop to Karak castle in the south which was also on my bucket list because of the rave reviews people give it. Built in 1142AD, Karak castle lies just southeast of the Dead Sea and is known for its incredible views. I've been to a few Crusader castles in both Jordan and Syria, all of which are known for their unique attributes. While the above ground portions of Karak castle were not particularly well-preserved, the elaborate underground tunnel system and the views definitely made it worthwhile. Despite the impossible location and elaborate defenses, this castle was overtaken by Saladin's forces in 1183AD and then again by the Mamluks in 1263AD and then by an earthquake in 1293AD.
 |
| Rush Hour |
 |
| This will never get old |
 |
| Momma + Baby |
 |
| One stubborn goat--do not pass go |
 |
| Outside the castle entrance |
 |
| Kaitlin matching to the extremes |
 |
| Bird in the tunnel |
 |
| The prison section of the tunnel system |
 |
| Love graffiti |
 |
| Kaitlin and I by the far end of the castle |
 |
| Awesome park below the castle |
 |
| Incredible views down towards the Dead Sea |
 |
| The other side of the castle |
 |
| More tunnel systems |
 |
| Repurposing Nabatean stones |
 |
| "God is great" |
 |
| One of the coolest Arabic carvings I've seen |
 |
| Between the two defense walls |
 |
| Talking a photo whilst holding a baby |
 |
Saladin statue -- he eventually recaptured the castle from Crusaders.
This was in the town square and reminded me of the statues outside
the entrance to the old city in Damascus. |
 |
New UNHCR tents dotted the countryside which were most likely meant
for Syrian families, but perhaps sold to Bedouin families on the black
market. After seeing a few of these, we rolled up to a village
near Dana and saw an old UNHCR tent covering the patio
of a house--definitely not the intended purpose. |
 |
| Rush Hour v.2 |
 |
| Another (older looking) UNHCR tent |
Up next: hiking in Dana and camping at Rumana campsite!
No comments:
Post a Comment