After a few summers in Amman, I think I had started realizing how important space and place was to my happiness in Jordan. Thankfully, I opted to live in Weibdeh which is one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city and one of the most popular neighborhood for expats. I actually got many questions from Jordanian friends and even taxi drivers about why all the foreigners live in Weibdeh. My response: "there are trees so you can walk and also history and cafes." Compare this to my old neighborhood of Khelda (and many areas of Amman) with their huge streets, traffic jams, and fortress-like houses, and I was much happier in Weibdeh.
Of course, living in Weibdeh came with a price--living on nearly the exact opposite side of the city from the University of Jordan. It resulted in some long commutes (add in rain or heat and traffic magnifies!) but was very much worth for such a great neighborhood (and building!).
![]() |
| View of the citadel from Weibdeh |
![]() |
| Duwar Paris (Paris Circle)--the main spot |
| Fountain in the square |
| Kuliyat Sharia' -- the local mosque |
![]() |
| Mosque from far away |
![]() |
| Mosque fountain for washing |
But one of the most awesome aspects of Weibdeh? It was "up and coming" and the soon-to-be-cool neighborhood since Jabal Amman and Rainbow Street were fast losing style with the massive crowds on the weekends. In my mind, this was tied to the presence of art in the neighborhood--tons of artist studios as well as small art houses and museums--plus graffiti and drawings all over the neighborhood walls.




No comments:
Post a Comment