Sunday, February 24, 2013

Time Warp

Time is flying, research is picking up, and I feel like I barely know what day it is anymore. The latter has actually been a reoccurring theme since I've been in Jordan because the weekend occurs on Friday and Saturday, not Saturday and Sunday (although many non-governmental employees work on Saturdays here too, meaning they only really have one day off each week). I never had to make this adjustment in Syria since I studied at a French language school (IFPO) and they stubbornly kept their Monday to Friday workweek, even though the rest of the country had off on Friday.

I thought after eight consistent months here, I'd finally have this day of the week thing mastered. I don't. Ask anyone who I have tried to make plans with--I just can't quite shake this Monday through Friday is the workweek mentality. I recently devised a fool-proof method to overcome this mental block: counting out the five days of the workweek on my fingers but starting with Sunday. Today is Sunday which means it's really "emotional Monday" and the day of the week I tend to sit down, go through my research notes and pictures, and take stock of the past week and also the week ahead.

This week was a particularly good one--spring has sprung, classes and language partner meet ups are in full swing, brunches and birthdays are happening, I've hit my stride in the Jordanian dialect, I got to name two goldfish, research is getting done, and my dear friend Kristin is in town visiting with her mother, Val!

Look at all that green! (note: this is not sarcasm)

The Citadel as viewed from the now defunct
Jordanian Russian Friendship Society off of Rainbow Street.

Socially acceptable to eat Gerard's ice cream again.
It was so good I couldn't stop to take a before photo!

Brunch with Kaitlin, Jeremy, and Sarah

with Sarah

Celebrating Sarah's birthday!

ALysa and I helping Sarah celebrate with SANGRIA!

Demolishing the cake Kaitlin made Sarah

Kaitlin, Sarah, Moi, Alysa

Meet Goldie and Hawn. I couldn't resist.

With lovely new Jordanian friends--Lana and Shireen

Bowling at Kempinski Hotel

Go, Riham, go!

I will never be able to take glamour poses seriously.

Bowling shoes!

Kristin and I overlooking Amman--Kristin and I met in Paris
all the way back in the summer of 2005!

Kristin and Val trying their hand at Abdali Second Hand Goods Market

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Love this post! Love you hitting your stride, and also love that you have another friend named Kriste/in whose mom's name is Val!

In summary: love love love.

PS: green looks good on you, Amman.