So I've actually been back from Lebanon for about a week now but it's been too hot to blog (I'm excited that it's back down to 100). Beirut was a very interesting place and is know as "Paris of the Middle East" probably because it feels a bit like being in Paris with all the French retail stores (and McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts). Oddly enough, prices are quoted in US dollars and Lebanese pounds so I suggest bringing dollars if you ever go for a visit.
Beirut is high on shopping, eating, and drinking (and French and English) and low on sight-seeing but we did see the American University of Beirut's beautiful campus and the corniche which still has a lot of damaged buildings from the 2006 war with Israel. There were also reminders of Lebanon's 15 year civil war amid all the glitz. A complicated country for sure.














Beirut is high on shopping, eating, and drinking (and French and English) and low on sight-seeing but we did see the American University of Beirut's beautiful campus and the corniche which still has a lot of damaged buildings from the 2006 war with Israel. There were also reminders of Lebanon's 15 year civil war amid all the glitz. A complicated country for sure.
3 comments:
beautiful pictures linds!!
Looks like an awesome trip! I actually had Lebanese food tonight at a restaurant called Beirut here in Bangkok... the food was awesome (but I bet the food actually in Lebanon was better!)
Ahlan, yaa aSHaab!
I'm not too surprised, Anna Rae--Lebanon has long been known as the home of the best Arab cuisine (some would say, the best Middle Eastern cuisine, but Iran would raise a fuss at that). Most of the best restaurants in Egypt (and "The Nile," right here at home) are actually Lebanese- or maybe Palestinian-owned. I'm sure the Syrians do well in this department too, though--mish heik, yaa "Linda"?
Post a Comment