Friday, January 18, 2013

Here and There in 2012 and 2013

Having worked for three years straight out of undergrad with only ten days of annual vacation, freedom of schedule and summers off has been one of the most beautiful aspects of going to grad school. Don't think it's too glamorous, though, because the rest of the year I'm usually sitting alone in my apartment pretending to read an absurd amount of literature or write a daunting paper/proposal/presentation. I like to think I earn these travel opportunities with sweat and tears.

That's one of the many reasons that doing fieldwork the past seven months has been so nice from my usual Chicago grad school routine (and why I think PhD students most likely stay in the field longer than necessary). With only five months of fieldwork left to go and only (haha only) two years left until I finish my degree, I'm very aware that I might soon have a "real job" which will require me to be in an office chair 40+ hours a week, pick a place to "settle down," and only allow me to take a big trip once a year. With this future reality, I tend to reflect often on where I've been in the past year and where I'd still like to go.

2012 shaped up to be an awesome year, just as any even year should be. I made some major progress in my program (became a PhD Candidate--as in the only thing standing in my way now is a dissertation) and I got to visit some new and old places in addition to making the big move to Jordan.







To those of you who know me well, it won't surprise you that I actually made a list before starting grad school of all the places I'd like to go with my new found vacations. Because of my regional focus, however, I haven't had much of an opportunity to travel outside of the Middle East since starting grad school. 2013 is the year it all changes! Here are some of the future adventures I'm looking forward to:










Let's do this, 2013!

3 comments:

Chelsey said...

Morocco is on my bucket list too! Looking forward to the pics whenever you make it there. = ) Although, I think getting you back in Chicago is my favorite 2013 destination, haha.

Lindsey said...

I will clearly take lots of photos in Morocco!! And I have to agree, Chicago is one of my top 2013 destinations! I'm hoping to see Amir when I'm in Beijing before starting the Trans-Mongolian/Trans-Siberian. Maybe you and Dave can stowaway?

Betsy said...

Ok I am just now seeing this post (thank you 70 hour work weeks) but YAY for Charleston and YAY YAY for summer in North America and returning to Chicago. I am counting down to when we can do normal weekend visits :) xoxo