Last Saturday, I went back to Salt with some friends to explore the town since I had missed it the weekend before. It was a neat little place--nestled up against the hill, with a beautifully restored souk (Souk Al-Hammam) which reminded me of the souk in Aleppo's old city (which has since been destroyed by shelling), many Ottoman style mansions, and a stunning church.
| Salt's Orthodox Church |
| A reinterpretation of an advent wreath |
| Altar and gorgeous chandeliers |
| Jesus in the reflection of a stained glass window |
| Biblical verses in Arabic |
| The chandeliers were my favorite part |
| Church posters on the way out |
| The city of Salt, nestled up against the hill |
| Pretty mural at the entrance to the town |
| Ghralis' Coffee Shop (loved the Lawrence of Arabia photos) |
| Salt Archaeological Museum |
| Danielle Feinstein + Danielle Feinstein--not confusing at all :) |
| Courtyard of the Salt Archaeological Museum which used to be a private residence belonging to the Touqan family. |
| Souk Al-Hamman |
| Ottoman Mosque |
| We were the only foreigners at the market--lots of attention |
| Selling veggies in front of the mosque! |
| Lots of spices |
| Stylish ladies |
| Cutest kid mannequin I've ever seen |
| I fell in love with this spot of color on the hillside |
| Me with my Jordanian friend, Magd |
| Beit Muasher, a huge Ottoman style house |
| One day I'll be able to read "cursive" Arabic |
| A Patriotic fruit and veggie stand |
No comments:
Post a Comment