Last Monday I just had one of those days. I went all the way to the University of Jordan to meet with my language partner then she cancelled on me when I got to campus. I rushed home in time to meet the drinking water delivery guy but he never showed. I called him and he told me he'd be in my neighborhood soon. I called him again two hours later and he had turned off his phone. I had yet another appointment cancelled after that. And then my phone credit ran out so I was unable to call or send texts.
By 7 pm, I was phone credit-less, drinking water-less, and food-less and decided it was time to go to the store and do something about it. But the minute I stepped out of the front door, a funny thing happened--it RAINED! And it wasn't just a mist or a drizzle, folks, it was buckets of rain with some thunder and lightning thrown in for good measure. So I turned back around and headed back up to my apartment.
The next morning, I woke up to find the sky overcast and expected more rain. As any radar-obsessed person would do, I looked up the weather online and saw a funny image:
And despite the black dust cloud hovering over nearly all of Jordan, I had an excellent day. In the span of an hour, I was emailed approval for three different issues I'd been waiting (semi-patiently) to hear about: picking up my iqama (my resident card to be an official, legal resident of Jordan), attending a sociology class at the university entitled "Marriage and Family," and getting a school ID for library and official campus access (for free!). Moral of the story? When it rains, it does pour, but a black cloud hanging over you isn't half bad.
By 7 pm, I was phone credit-less, drinking water-less, and food-less and decided it was time to go to the store and do something about it. But the minute I stepped out of the front door, a funny thing happened--it RAINED! And it wasn't just a mist or a drizzle, folks, it was buckets of rain with some thunder and lightning thrown in for good measure. So I turned back around and headed back up to my apartment.
The next morning, I woke up to find the sky overcast and expected more rain. As any radar-obsessed person would do, I looked up the weather online and saw a funny image:
A big black cloud that would've been more appropriate with the previous day's luck. "That's weird" I thought--clouds are a different color on radar here. It took me the rest of the day to finally figure out why: it wasn't clouds, but dust. My first dust storm!
![]() |
| Blue skies above, dust below |
And despite the black dust cloud hovering over nearly all of Jordan, I had an excellent day. In the span of an hour, I was emailed approval for three different issues I'd been waiting (semi-patiently) to hear about: picking up my iqama (my resident card to be an official, legal resident of Jordan), attending a sociology class at the university entitled "Marriage and Family," and getting a school ID for library and official campus access (for free!). Moral of the story? When it rains, it does pour, but a black cloud hanging over you isn't half bad.
| Legal Resident of the HKoJ! |



No comments:
Post a Comment