Wednesday, July 11, 2012

This just in!

Snickers with Almond! Do we have this stateside?


I enjoy seeing how food, even junk food, changes by country. I remember all the crazy Lays chip flavors in China (and even here--they have a "ketchup" flavor among other interesting combinations), and now Snickers with Almond. Almonds are definitely preferred over peanuts in this region of the world. In fact, I think Americans are among the few who really eat peanuts and peanut butter. I remember how impossible it was to find peanut butter in France and how I was told to go to an "African food store" since peanuts are mainly grown in Africa. Peanuts are known in Arabic as "ful sudanee" (Sudanese beans) since they are grown primarily in the Sudan versus pistachios which are known as "ful Halabe" (Aleppian beans) since Aleppo is famous for its Pistachios.

But don't worry, they have regular peanut Snickers too.

6 comments:

Lindsay Mott Rosti said...

I think I have seen these stateside...clearly not as popular as the peanut variety! My guess is because almonds are healthier ;)

Lindsey said...

Woo-hoo! Glad they have them there too. Although to be honest, I'd be happy with any form of a Snickers bar!

Betsy said...

They have ketchup flavored chips here too...I have always been intrigued but never purchased them despite my love for ketchup. Xoxo

Lindsey said...

Woah. Apparently I need to go shopping at non-Trader Joe's grocery stores more often!!

Chelsey said...

Ketchup-flavored chips sounds pretty gross. I've never seen the almond snickers here, but I will keep an eye out for them. I definitely brought a jar of PB with me when I studied abroad in France. = )

Lindsey said...

Chelsey, My current plan is to import jars of Trader Joe's peanut butter by the suitcase to last me through the year. Hopefully there will be no customs issues at the airport :)