Friday, August 19, 2011

School's (finally) out for summer!

Class. Done. Finals. Done. Time for summer to start! Luckily (thanks to the quarter system) I still have a month until I am back in Chicago! I'm starting summer off right by heading to Lebanon tomorrow for a week with half of my Arabic class. Here are a few remaining snaps from school...

My mornings consist of yellow taxis and sunflowers. There is a
field of sunflowers near my house and the main road where I
wait for my morning taxi. Their name in Arabic translates as
"servants of the sun" because they bow before the sun!
(Thanks to Rebecca for this linguistic tidbit!)

For those of you who didn't believe me, there really was a
"Ladies' Lounge" for women only. The school started out as a religious
school teaching classical Arabic and they set this up for the women to
relax in, etc. When guys at school learned about it they were upset
until we explained that the whole of Jordan is the "Man's Lounge."

The actual interior is far less exciting...

See you in Lebanon!

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Have so much fun (but be careful)--miss you!!