Ahlan wa sahlan from Syria!
I survived 4 flights, 5 airports, and 30 hours of travel time to get to Damascus (cheaply through Turkey). It went something like this: DC to Frankfurt, sleep for a bit, Frankfurt to Ankara, buy a $20 VISA to fly to Istanbul, sleep some more, Istanbul to Damascus, accidentally get on bus with Turkish tour group from the airport to the Four Seasons, take cab to cheap hostel. I arrived a bit tired but I thankfully know my way around from last summer. After showering, internet, and food, I got to watch the Spain vs. Switzerland World Cup game near my hostel. I watched in what would be a beer garden in most parts of the world, but in the Muslim part of the world it's more accurately a hookah garden. Suffice to say, there was much disappointment at Spain's loss since many Syrians are Barcelona fans.
Just to fill you in on why the heck I'm here, I'll be in Damascus this summer taking Arabic classes and hopefully figuring out a Master's research project by the time I come home in September. I'm not sure how exciting this blog will be since much of my time will be spent in class, but I can assure you that my time here will be filled with plenty of Arabic blunders and some interesting interactions.
So far today, I successfully navigated my way to find the school. Up next is housing and a long-term VISA. Should be tons of fun! I will try to take more pictures once I'm settled!
2 comments:
Be safe and have a blast! A co-resident of mine is from Syria and it looks beautiful from his pictures. Can't wait to read more.
Glad you arrived in Syria safely! I'm looking forward to following your blog and hearing more about your adventures! How's the food over there?
Post a Comment