Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Riding Jamels in the Sahara

By the end of this post, I am sure you will be sick of seeing sand but it was so awesome that I took a ton of pictures! Riding a camel in the Sahara was definitely what I like to call a "Great Wall of China moment"--one in which you say to yourself, "holy hell, I cannot believe I am [insert place here]." In case you are wondering how the heck we rode camels in the Sahara desert in July, we did it at night! We arrived around 6 pm and did not leave for our sunset jaunt until about 7 pm. Because Courtney and I were supposed to go with a different hotel the night before, we ended up on a romantical camel ride with just our Berber guide, Mohammed (who wore imitation crocs!). Now I know I originally said I would not ride any camels (jamels in Arabic) but if you go to the Sahara, you kind of have to. Riding a camel is not only smelly, but also a great core workout--it really gets at your obliques as you move from side to side. My sides (and derriere) are still sore...

Dunes--again!

Our jamels

Courtney

Shadows

My POV--total worth getting food poisoning to get this shot!

Ensemble

Cool palm trees

We had no idea what spending a night at a Berber campsite would be like, but it was very interesting. There was a cluster of different sites owned by each hotel and taken care of by a Berber family (we met Mohammed #2 and his 3 year old son, Omar). Interestingly, our hotel-run camp not only had solar panels, but also a western toilet. After arriving, our guide cooked us dinner and made us Berber whiskey (tea). Mohammed #1 was a very interesting guide who spoke 4 languages (Berber, Arabic, English, French), had 9 siblings and came from a nomadic Berber tribe. I got to ask a lot of questions about camels and being a nomad (eg. what happens when you are off working and you come home to find that camp has been moved? apparently there are a few places that the family always goes to so he just checks each one).

Post dinner, we got to look at the very bright stars until a sandstorm kicked up. I will admit, sleeping inside a Berber tent in summer was quite toasty and not great for sleep but it was too sandy outside. I will also admit I did not sleep well because I was slightly terrified of finding a scorpion on my mattress when I woke up. The camp did have cats prowling around (and they hunt them) but I was not entirely convinced!

Ridiculous toilet

Berber campsite

Omar, our jamels, Mohammed #2 praying towards Mecca

5 comments:

Erin said...

Wow Lindsey! Thanks for sharing your pictures. It looks and sounds like an unbelievable time.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Erin. Thanks! I'm living an adventurous life vicariously through you and Courtney!

Kristen said...

too freakin' cool

Unknown said...

Love the comments and the pictures! What an amazing adventure for both of you!!

Sarah said...

WOW!!!