The main attraction is the Alhambra, which derives from the Arabic for "red castle." It is a palace-fortress that I studied the Alhambra in an Islamic art and architecture class and it is the reason for wanting to come to Andalucia in the first place. We reserved tickets online for the first entry this morning (and almost slept through the alarm--whoops) so we got to see it in the cool of the morning and (fairly) uncrowded. The palace itself is amazing with beautiful tiles and especially beautiful ceilings.
| Flocks of sparrows |
BUT my favorite part actually ended up being the view from the hillside neighborhood, the Albayzin, across the way...
Next stop is the port town of Algeciras and then it is onto Morocco. Andalucia has been amazing and definitely exeeded any expectations I had. I have to say that my favorite city was Sevilla with the Alcazar and la Giralda. Although, it was the first Andalucian city I visited so it had an unfair advantage! As we gear up for Morocco, here are some things we will miss: readily available beer, kids in matching outfits, seeing billions of funny looking dogs, and, most likely, warm showers!
1 comment:
Beautiful pictures!!! WOW...
Post a Comment